Do you want skills beyond science and research that can help you stand out in your professional career?
Do you dream about how your research can positively impact people and the planet?
Whether you are aiming for academia, an industry start-up, a government lab, a non-profit or any career in which STEM graduates are sought, consider joining us in Lens of the Market® through the OSU NRT-IGE funded by the National Science Foundation!
Watch the video on what students are saying about Lens of the Market®.
Be the first
For our first cohort of Lens of the Market® Teams, six faculty members have volunteered research themes from their labs. These themes are:
- Drugs for neurodegenerative diseases
Mentor: Joe Beckman, Biochemistry and Biophysics / Linus Pauling Institute
- Protein materials for biotechnology applications
Mentor: Ryan Mehl, Biochemistry and Biophysics / Unnatural Protein Facility
- Natural products for biomedical applications
Mentor: BJ Philmus, Pharmacy
- Optoelectronic materials for energy applications
Mentor: Ethan Minot, Physics
- Materials for energy and energy storage
Mentor: David Ji, Chemistry
- Nanomaterials for environmental applications
Mentor: Chih-Hung (Alex) Chang, Engineering
Are you interested in participating, but your research does not fall into one of the above themes?
Share your topic ideas with us for future cohorts of Lens of the Market.
We are seeking graduate students and postdocs whose research aligns with these themes to join the teams.
Aligned research provides the skills desired and needed for your future success in any career path. With Lens of the Market® you
- Have the opportunity to inform your research from the results!
- Can meet colleagues working in areas that can promote new research ideas.
- Can, as a team, provide the multi-disciplinary skill set required for any new service or product to be brought to the market.
- Gain the skills to work in a cross-functional, multi-disciplinary team.;
Graduate students (M.S. and Ph.D.) and Postdocs in the following colleges are welcome to apply:
- College of Agricultural Sciences
- College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences
- College of Engineering
- College of Forestry
- College of Pharmacy
- College of Public Health and Human Sciences
- College of Science
We will select individuals to form up to six teams (of five participants) to participate in Lens of the Market. A one-day Stage 1 workshop will run in February 2017.
Should your team choose to participate in Stage 2 (6 months), the kickoff seminar will be in March 2017.
Teams will be chosen by NRT leadership and faculty mentors. When selecting individuals to form a team, the following criteria will be considered:
- Research theme
- Expertise of and alignment of theme with team members’ research
- Creation of multi-disciplinary teams
- Potential to further career goals
Applications are due by Wednesday, November 30, 2016.
Questions? Join us at our kickoff events, October 13th and November 14th, 5-7 pm in LPSC. (Free food provided!). You can also contact Michelle Dolgos (Co-PI ) at Michelle.Dolgos@oregonstate.edu
I'm ready to apply!